Newport Chemical Depot Redevelopment
The Newport Chemical Depot is a 7,155-acre facility located in west-central Indiana in Vermillion County near the town of Newport. The depot opened in 1941 as the Wabash River Ordnance Works wherein it served a key role in the Manhattan Project. Announced for closure in 2005 under the federal government’s Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) program, the Newport Chemical Depot Reuse Authority (NeCDRA) was created to oversee and facilitate the creation of a reuse plan for the site.
The NeCDRA selected Matrix Design Group to prepare the reuse plan, which included an extensive existing conditions assessment, the development of several concept plan alternatives, and the creation of a comprehensive public involvement program. Matrix’s reuse plan was adopted and provides for over 3,000 acres of land for industrial development while maintaining thousands of acres of natural areas and prime farmland.
Following the adoption of the reuse plan, Matrix prepared a business plan, an infrastructure master plan, and a detailed cost model in its role as the lead consultant in the economic development conveyance application process. In September 2011, the Newport Chemical Depot was successfully transferred from the U.S. Army to the NeCDRA.